Check out my last article on the RGJ. This one is on immigration, the issue of our moment. I got a lot of good feedback on this, and I think we’re going to see a whole lot more movement and energy from people defending Latinos in Nevada.
Today I welcomed reoccurring guest, Nathaniel Lloyd, author and purveyor of the podcast, Historical Blindness. We discuss:
- President Donald Trump announced more “religious exceptions” to the affordable care act and the history of religious discrimination in America.
- VP Mike Pence’s public relations move this weekend at the NFL.
- Trump’s battle with Senator Bob Corker.
Today, I sit down with Edward Coleman, an advocate for the black community and an outspoken critic of the system of white supremacy. We talk Trump, the NFL and Roy Moore.
For me, Marijuana legalization is a moral imperative. We must significantly change the failed, racist and stupid war on drugs. But, some people disagree. It’s good to hear their arguments.
Today’s Beyond Spin featured a very special guest, attorney and anti-marijuana advocate Jim Hartman. We spent an hour debating the state of Marijuana in Nevada.
Today’s guest was Alan Ferrenberg, retired rocket scientist and former science teacher and member of the Citizen’s Science Lobby. We discussed:
1. The Union of Concerned Scientists
2. Really awful Hurricane Season with Hurricane Maria heading to Puerto Rico and global warming denialism
3. What is happening at the EPA and the politicizing of scienc
4. Denying science education overall
The Show on Monday, Sept. 18th features:
- My good friend, writer and podcaster Nathaniel Lloyd who is going to talk all about his podcast “Historical Blindness” which is both interesting and extremely relevant to the moment.
- We’re going to talk about the latest brouhaha over Confederate Memorials and ask Nathaniel if he can help us sort out the history of these things
- We’re going to talk about partisanship, and about a recent article in VOX about the continued sorting of America.
- In our last segment, I have got to chat about the partisan rancor that enveloped the Emmy’s last night.
I’m Ed Lyngar, reminding you that Journalism is saying what someone else does not want said; everything else is public relations.”
Follow me on Twitter @Edwin_Lyngar
Beyond Spin is brand new in Reno! We’ve just finished our first week, and we’re ready to start sharing the podcasts live, over the Internet in addition to being available online. Please listen to our show from Thursday with RobRoy McCandless, a writer and author. Today, we cover local news, Rob’s book and the latest in Donald Trump inspired agony. Catch us weekdays on 96.1 /1270 the Buzz!
On my vacation to Roatan, Honduras, almost no one wore life jackets and few boats even carried them. This fellow (below) had zero life jackets aboard. When I tried to talk to him about it, he just kept pointing out that this boat was named “Trust Me.” He was almost insulted that I asked.
When I insisted on putting life jackets on my children on the water taxis there, they were only ill-fitting type two jackets. Continue reading Boating Safety (or lack of such) in Honduras